Karmic Justice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for guild members to hang out, start discussions, ask questions and schedule meetings. Need a certain item, or want to plan a raid? Talk here!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Protecting Your Account

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mixelplix

Mixelplix

Protecting Your Account Empty
PostSubject: Protecting Your Account   Protecting Your Account I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 10:14 am

Greetings All:

I just thought I'd post an FYI for people who value their WOW accounts. Scammers are running wild these days, and every year it seems they get more and more creative in their methods for trying to scam people out of accounts. It happened to me, once. I don't want it to happen to you.

Here are a few ways people are trying to scam these days

1. In game whispers -- A day doesn't pass that I don't get a whisper from someone posing as a blizzard employee. Ususally they will tell you that you have been found guilty of some offense and that your account will be banned if you don't follow a certain hyperlink to validate your identity. Their names often attempt to imitate blizzard employees: "blizzbrendan," "Blizzjohn," etc etc. Often these links will take you to a very convincing reproduction of the blizzard website, asking for your account name and password. Enter it, and you can be guaranteed that you've just been compromised. The best thing to is flag these whispers as spam and remember the following:

Blizzard employees will almost never contact you in game, and if they do they will have a blue and white blizzard logo beside their name.

Blizzard will never threaten you with action against your account. They will take the action first and then send an email to your registered email address.

Blizzard employees will never ask for your password. In fact, they don't even know it.

2. Every day I get dozens of emails in my spam box claiming to be from blizzard. These emails take many form, from offering free in game items to threatening account action unless you click on a link to verify. Needless to say, these are all fake and phishing attempts to steal your account information. Some of them even look official, and the email might even say it's from wowaccountadmin or another official looking blizzard name. There are two surefire ways to identify a phishing attempt

A: Poor grammar and spelling.
B: Threats against your account (again, blizzard never threatens account action; they lock your account and THEN notify you if there is a problem)
C: check the header information from where the e-mail truly originated. If it's really from blizzard, it will originate from blizzard.com, not hotmail.com or any other source.

Last edited by Isle on Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : made it a sticky)
Back to top Go down
Foxy

Foxy

PostSubject: Re: Protecting Your Account   Protecting Your Account I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 10:51 am

This is good to know. Something like this happened to my brother very recently.
Back to top Go down
http://www.plurk.com/foxyinnis
Isle
Admin
Isle

PostSubject: Authenticator   Protecting Your Account I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 10:58 am

Great post.
I have to admit, the first few times I was whispered that I had won gold.. my heart jumped a bit until I noticed the poor grammar and my mental alarm went off. I also right click and report as spam right away. One thing I did to make myself feel safer was to get the Authenticator from Blizzard.
WoW Authenticator Info

Sometimes it is a pain in the butt to have to enter that extra line of numbers, especially when I have been disconnected 10 times in an hour, but after you have a few characters you care for and are getting up there with the gold, it is worth the trouble to feel secure.

AND! The best plus!! Not only is the Authenticator is only $6.95, You get the Core Puppy!! I love my Puppy... he is now my favorite pet.

Protecting Your Account 4757031003_8907d866cb
Back to top Go down
https://karmicj.forumotion.com
Mixelplix

Mixelplix

PostSubject: Re: Protecting Your Account   Protecting Your Account I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 11:03 am

I don't have the physical authenticator. Just the app that's installed on my ipod. Maybe I should get it too so I can get the pet. But anyway, that's a good point. The authenticator certainly does add
an additional layer of protection to account security.

Back to top Go down
Aph

Aph

PostSubject: Iphone free authenticator   Protecting Your Account I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 12:31 pm

maybe it's nice to know you can get an authenticator on your iphone which in fact will give you the puppy too Smile It's free. So you just use your iphone to get the code whenever you login. I love it !!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Protecting Your Account   Protecting Your Account I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Protecting Your Account
Page 1 of 1